Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Lovely Cymbidium!

I looked up some information online regarding Cymbidiums and for some reason a whole lot was mentioned about mealybugs and spider mites. Mealybugs are irritating little whitish bugs, males eventually growing wings and only living to fertilize eggs laid by the female; ants assist in protecting them by keeping away their predators. Spider mites tend to live on the undersides of leaves, spinning silky webs there, and puncture the leaves to eat the plant cells.


I noticed on my initial once-over that my cym had some strange little webs attached to it. I hadn't seen any spiders, so I connected the dots after having read about spider mites. I took a little flashlight and searched quite closely for any pests, finding only more webs and small round gray things... I think they may have been the mealybugs. I found some clumps of winged insects attached to some of the webs. Thankfully they were dead, but I could see the wings, so it wasn't inspiring. I cleaned off all the leaves and the spike so that I would be able to tell if anything was currently spinning any webs, causing any weird black peel-off splotches, etc. While going through this I dug around a bit in the media. Much to my horror I discovered a huge underground web. I didn't hang out long enough to find any pests, but that's all I needed to inspire me to ask some of my online communities for help.






While digging around I took notice of a few webs and more small gray circle bug/things in between the bulbs.





The roots are absurd and pathetic. The cym is in bloom but I'm considering re-potting it.



Unfortunately my cat's interest in my orchid is the least of my worries.

No comments: