Monday, November 1, 2010

My birthday orchid!

So, I just had my birthday, that means the land of Vancouver is a new and exciting one. I got home on the 30th after spending a week at my dad's place and was surprised when my mom told me she had bought me an orchid! Of course she was threatening it when she let me know a local store had a huge selection of them, but were sold out when she went back to buy one. And she knows I'm completely obsessed with them after finding I was able to re-bloom my Harlequin.


I'm currently working at getting this orchid identified. It said it was a Cymbidium, but I'm more interested in what kind of Cym it is. So far, Featherhill Fanfare and Dryad seem like good candidates, but I'm always unsure. Alas.
















In any case, it's gorgeous and matches my phal, which is funny; I wasn't sure if she did it on purpose or if it was just an accident, so I asked her - turns out it was completely coincidental. She chose it because she liked it, looks like we have the same taste!
I was advised on one of the forums I'm a member of to put some cinnamon on the spike of my cut phal as a fungicide. I've not really had any major issues with this phal like insects or black rot or anything like that, but I thought I may as well, as a precautionary measure.

I've not done anything differently with it except for the cinnamon, and since dabbing some on the cut, my phal has developed these strange little bumps on it's spike. It has me quite worried.

No comments: